Pier 5, AHU Replacement,
Terminal 3, Landside & Airside,
London Heathrow Airport.
Summary of Works
- Full feasibility and site survey
- Preparations of RAMS/lift plan, including DWG and 3D graphic generation.
- The provision of all transport. heavy lifting plant, cranes and tackle
- The supply of a fully trained plant movement lifting team
- The supply of all permits and ground clearance, airside access
- Lifting & positioning of all items
- Offsite storage
Mace Construction Ltd.
Dornan Engineering Ltd.
Tone Scaffolding Ltd.
Advanced Fabrications Ltd.
Think Logistics were approached in 2017 by Mace Construction and Dornan Engineering to prepare and tender for a project on Terminal 3, London Heathrow Airport, to transport, lift and provide final positioning of all New AHU/chiller plant, heavy plant, steelwork, pipework, ducting and scaffolding. The work areas were situated in the heart of the roofing structures of Terminal 3. The only way to reach the drop location was to gain access from various lifting locations airside and landside. The project was split into a number of phases A,B and C. For B the majority of lifting was negotiated at the departure area of Terminal 3. This required the management of the public, road closures and permits. This required all cranes, lifting equipment and site planning to be provided by Think Logistics and a full turn-key solution providing surveying and planning regarding the deliveries, positioning of new plant and equipment and disposal of redundant plant. The main contractor (Mace Construction) appointed several contractors to provide services. Dornan Engineering M&E appointed Think Logistics directly and all further contractors followed suit allowing Think Logistics to provide all logistical services throughout the overall project.
Think Logistics were awarded a contract in August of 2017, to:
- Survey To provide a team to survey all locations and routes to position various plant and equipment.
- Haulage Transport To provide Crane Lorries and Artic Lorries, Vans, Telescopic Lifting Plant, Flat-Bed Transport to collect from CLC (Colnbrook Logistics Centre) for Touch and Go clearance. To lift plant from transport and locate Curbside at designated drop points as instructed by the client.
- Storage To provide a storage facility at our Depot at London Heathrow Airport.
- Plant Movement and Planning To provide a team to manage and position various plant and equipment on to roof top and plant room areas to be delivered to various locations at Terminal 3.
- Site Planning To provide on a daily basis; planning, site preparation, management and supervision of all activities per shift including all risk and method statements implemented to London Heathrow cleared standard.in2017
The team used Spiering mobile tower cranes (AT6 & AT3) along with other heavy lifting equipment such as telehandlers, fork lift trucks and crane lorries to reach final locations. In some locations the lift was performed blind requiring communication through two-way radios. On many occasions an appointed person in lifting operations was required on site. Great care needed to be taken when setting up crane location, all locations were mined with a Cat & Gene to confirm point loads and sensitive underground services to be avoided when deploying outriggers etc.
The project was split between three contractors M&E equipment installation, steelwork manufacture and installation, scaffolding and heavy industrial plant. A complex scaffolding structure had to be designed and constructed, Think Logistics assisted in lifting all this equipment throughout the project. A steel raised structure was designed and lifted in sections and beams providing a mezzanine level in Section B to support some of the overall plant. The working locations were remote in location which required our skilled team to work successfully in very awkward conditions.
In September 2018, the contract was successfully completed (without incident).
It is with great pleasure that the Management of Think Logistics congratulate the team in completing a project in a sensitive environment to the highest of standards.