Pier 6, AHU Replacement,
Terminal 3, Airside,
London Heathrow Airport.
Summary of Works
- Full Feasibility and Site Survey
- Preparations of RAMS/Lift Plan, including DWG and 3D graphic generation.
- The provision of all transport, heavy lifting plant, cranes and tackle
- The supply of a fully trained plant movement lifting team
- The supply of all permits and ground clearance, airside access
- Lifting & positioning of all items
- Offsite storage
Mace Construction Ltd.
Dornan Engineering Ltd.
Think Logistics were approached last year by Dornan Engineering to prepare and tender for a project on Terminal 3, Project Pier 6 AHU Replacement; London Heathrow Airport, to transport, lift and provide final positioning of all new condenser units, heavy plant, steelwork, pipework and ducting. The work areas were situated Airside T3 Pier 6 lifting onto roofing structures of Terminal 3, including airside access, road closures and permits. This required all cranes, lifting equipment and site planning to be provided by Think Logistics and a full turn-key solution providing surveying and planning regarding the deliveries, positioning of new pipework and equipment and disposal of redundant plant. The main contractor (Mace Construction) appointed several contractors to provide services Dornan Engineering M&E appointed Think Logistics directly.
Think Logistics were awarded a contract in June of 2018, to:
- Survey To provide a team to survey all locations and routes to position various plant and equipment.
- Haulage Transport To provide Crane Lorries and Artic Lorries, Vans, Telescopic Lifting Plant, Flat-Bed Transport to collect from CLC (Colnbrook Logistics Centre) for Touch and Go clearance. To lift plant from transport and locate Curbside at designated drop points as instructed by the client.
- Storage To provide a storage facility at our Depot at London Heathrow Airport
- Plant Movement and Planning To provide a team to manage and position various plant and equipment on to roof top and plant room areas to be delivered to various locations at Terminal 3.
- Site Planning To provide on a daily basis Planning, Site Preparation, Management and Supervision of all activities per shift Including all Risk and Method Statements implemented to London Heathrow cleared standard.
The team used a Spiering Mobile Tower Crane (AT6) to reach final locations spanning a maximum radius of 56 Meters. In some locations the lift was performed blind requiring communication through two-way radios. On many occasions an Appointed Person in Lifting Operations was required on site. Great care needed to be taken when setting up crane location, all locations were mined with a Cat & Gene to confirm point loads and sensitive underground services on the Apron Airside Terminal 3 to be avoided when deploying outriggers etc. The pier remained live throughout the project requiring intensive project planning.
The project was lifting M&E equipment and heavy industrial plant. Think Logistics assisted in lifting all equipment throughout the project. The working locations were remote in location which required our skilled team to work successfully in very awkward conditions with strict time restrictions.
In November 2018, the contract was successfully completed (without incident).
It is with great pleasure that the Management of Think Logistics congratulate the team in completing a project in a sensitive environment to the highest of standards.